I'm on on the late train here; I know this, but I just started watching Sons of Anarchy yesterday. Friends have been telling me how much they love this show for years. I'm not usually one for violent shows/movies with anti-heroes, so it didn't really interest me all that much. After 5+ seasons/years I FINALLY decided to give it a go.

After seeing all the recent Fifty Shades movie drama play out online, honestly, I wanted to see what all the hullabaloo was about regarding Charlie Hunnam, who plays Jackson Teller, VP of the SOA motorcycle club.  My decision was also widely influenced by the immense popularity of romance novels I've read or heard of in the last year or so featuring tattooed bikers and their MC lifestyle.

Back in late-2012 I read Motorcycle Man by Kristen Ashley and liked it overall, but Tack was definitely more the alpha-hole variety than the lovably tender alpha hero that I prefer in my romance heroes. In 2013, I kicked things up a notch and read a few more MC-themed books: Own the Wind, Fire Inside, and Reaper's Property by Joanna Wylde with mixed reviews.  Through my reading, I realized that unlike many of my bookie friends, novels featuring a motorcycle club don't make me cream my panties all that much.  Disrespect for women by alpha-hole heroes just doesn't turn my crank. So you can also understand why it took me so much time to hop on the SOA bandwagon. Now that you have the backstory, I'll get to my point here....

As I was binge watching SOA, I noticed many similarities between the aforementioned books I've read and the show.  Too many similarities.

I'm only about 7 eps in and certain characters are noticeably modeled from the SOA cast of characters, just with different names. Then some of the dialogue/language and events aren't that far off either! When one of the MC's hangers-on girls is called a "sweet butt" I was like....

Or when they called the club meetings 'church'!!!

We've all heard a lot about authors who've 'sampled' exact words or events from other authors' books for their own gain.  When discovered, those books have been removed from book sellers' stock altogether.

Now I just can't look at these books the same way. I totally understand exploiting the popularity of this show while the iron is hot by publishing a MC-themed book with a sexy, alpha hero for female audiences to buy and lust over.  But to model characters and dialogue almost exactly...

Of course, these books are different enough from SOA that I'm sure the authors are protected from any major claims of plagiarism or copyright infringement; but IMO, this is no less than one author ripping off another author's words and publishing it as her own work.